Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Reflection post

Overall I did not like the class, because I am not a people person nor am I an online student. I thank you for at least putting up with me even though I probably wasn't your favorite or more promising student. I however do know one hundred percent for certain that I will never be a online student and do not plan to take these types of classes again. The textbook was a hard read, but I think its constant references to other sources annoyed me the most. I kinda got it towards the end of the year that the book was trying to validate itself (unnecessary) and was opening us opportunities to examine additional research to prove the subject matter to us. Which is fine, but I think the further I got into the class the more I realized that technology is a hindrance to education and does not really help it at all. The discussions were my fault you and I both know I paid them little attention at all, but I can see for other students who actually participate in them they can be very helpful. I think you found this out to be true but I noticed students would travel as far as the second page and would continue to post the same sentences just with different subjects. For example a generic formula to their responses (not all but some) Hi my name is ____, that post was so inspiring. I absolutely loved ____ and how you _____ with this _____ isn't it so cool that we ____ as educators? Awesome post. Those who used that response format didn't help much, but there were a few who clearly showed they read your post and actually responded with real substance those I actually felt were worth reading.

As for the learning outcomes I think you found the best possible way to address each one. It was simple to see how every project tied in to the lesson, but I'm not very good at independent studies I guess. All the dates were there so we couldn't act surprised we didn't know something was coming up it was very neat and organized. The project I loved the most was the PowerPoint I think that taught me how technology when properly analyzed can be used as a support role.
What I mean by that is if I told you I had a bad day that has one meaning.






 
 
Now if you asked me how my day was and I showed you this picture 
 
 

 
 
Then what I am saying has so much more meaning. That lesson has sunk in the best out of all of them. Which you I think have commented time and time again about how my visual pictures help enhance what I am saying. Which I say thank you very much professor. Also the cave of Chauvet is another cool part of this class (Cave of Chauvet 2013). It gives students and shows educators that we can show the world to our students in our classroom and can have them interact with the images they see in order to draw comparisons.
 
References:
 
The cave of Chauvet retrieved from culture.gouv.fr April 24th 2013. 
 
Maloy, R., Woolf, B., & Edwards, S. (2011). Transforming Learning With New Technologies. Boston : Pearson Education, Inc.
 
April 24th 2013
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Despite the distance in an online class, it is interesting to note how communication and getting to know someone and their needs can still be bridged. Knowing that there are always students who don't know or don't like technology is a challenge for teaching [do know that happens quite a bit in math, too! ;)], but somehow the tiniest element of learning that can transpire is very rewarding. I am glad to see that you found some tidbits of learning in your reflection about the class. :)

    Your comments about not liking online classes are understandable as they are not a good fit for everyone, but they are definitely an avenue for learning that is becoming more popular and convenient. The field of education is definitely a 'people person' occupation - whether it be distance/online or in-person/on-ground. Your excitement for the math content is definitely a talent and in wanting to share that with others, you would be needing those people skills to make that a good fit, as well. Best wishes for you in your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete